Having a regular dental check-up is essential because they aid in keeping your teeth and gums healthy. A regular dental visit of at least once every six months is advised or as recommended by your dental health professional.
A visit to your dental health professional entails having both a check-up or examination and cleaning or oral prophylaxis.
During the examination or dental check-up, your dental health professional will check for staining, gaps, cavities, and other dental concerns. It also includes a check for tartar and plaque build-up. Plaque is a clear, sticky substance made up of left-over food and saliva that can harden and form tartar. Tartar cannot be removed by brushing and flossing alone and will eventually cause oral diseases. X-rays might also be taken to detect anomalies that are hidden within your teeth.
Then comes the examination of your gums. The depth of the spaces between your teeth and gums will have to be measured. Healthy gums have spaces that are shallow. The spaces become deeper when there is gum disease.
The examination also includes a thorough checking of your tongue, throat, face, head, and neck to look for any signs of swelling or possible signs of disease.
Your teeth will be cleaned (oral prophylaxis) at your visit. Brushing and flossing may clean the plaque from your teeth, but not tartar. The process of removing tartar as done by your dental health professional is called scaling. Scaling removes both plaque and tartar.
After y scaling, comes polishing. A grainy paste is used to help remove any surface stains on your teeth. The last step is flossing to make sure the areas between your teeth are clean.
Between each dental visit, make it a habit to take good care of your teeth and gums. Plaque may always be forming on your teeth, but it can be managed by brushing and flossing regularly.
Below are some tips for good oral and dental care at home.
- Brush your teeth at least two times a day
- Use a toothpaste that contains fluoride.
- Floss once a day
- Gargle with mouthwash to help control plaque build-up. This will also keep your breath fresh
Key Takeaways :
- Regular dental visits are essential as they help keep your teeth and gums healthy.
- The two parts to a regular dental visit are:
- The examination
- The prophylaxis
- During the dental examination, your dental health professional will check your overall oral status and health.
- During the prophylaxis, your dental health professional will scale plaque and tartar buildup and polish your teeth.
- Have a regular dental exam long beach ca at least two times a year or as recommended by your dental health professional.